We will outsmart you (or at least we will try!)


This is where Harry is supposed to be at 10 p.m. only he is supposed to be sleeping. Ever since he discovered that he could reach the lightswitch, Rob and I have been in a battle of wits with this almost-3-year-old. After we put him to bed, he quietly turns on his closet light, then stays up to read ALL of his books.
This photo is taken after he's been caught midway through.

Once he mastered the closet light trick, he became more bold and just started turning on the main light in his room. We would walk in and he would look up guiltily (That's a good sign, right? he knows he shouldn't be awake?) and say "I read all my books!" And, all of his books would be piled up around him. One of us would say: "Why are you awake?"
And he would look at us and say: "Because I can't listen!"
I felt very smart once I figured out that I could keep him from turning on the light in his room by turning it off from the chain handle on the ceiling instead of the lightswitch.
Rob spent much time this evening figuring out how to tape down the lightswitch in Harry's closet so he can't turn it on. We'll see who wins!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I know this solution might not be for everybody, but when we switched my almost two year old into her toddler bed, she would stay up all night playing with her toys. So we moved all of her toys out of her room and put a toddler lock on the closet door. Now her room is completely empty other than her bed and she sleeps so much better!

The Baby Squad said...

Take the light bulb out of the closet. A tad inconvenient at times but would solve the problem.